Joe Satriani’s “Shockwave Supernova” Out Now
Tuesday, July 28th, 2015
The new Joe Satriani album “Shockwave Supernova” came out on Friday, and I really recommend picking it up. And not just because I’m playing bass on it! I think there are some really cool compositions, melodies and arrangements worth exploring, and having had six months since I tracked the record, I’m re-exploring those musical ideas right now.
Here’s some of my favorite moments of the record:
* The chorus melody/changes in “Shockwave Supernova”, especially the way the chorus form finishes
* The chorus melody/changes (very emo and aspirational, to my ears) in “Lost In A Memory”
* The hypnotic drone of the verse, and the climax of the guitar solo in “On Peregrine Wings” (when does an extended sus4 to V-dom7 *not work? ) – and the overall tone and vibe of this song screamed “this is the single” to me right after I heard the rough mix. Plus: Marco, for god’s sake.
* The bass sound and groove of “Cataclysmic”
* The entire bridge of “San Francisco Blue”. That’s a legit guitar sound right there.
* The chorus of “All Of My Life” – that’s a great melody, and I’m a sucker for “desert highway” stuff anyway
“Stars Race Across The Sky” – ALL of it
* “Goodbye Supernova” – again, all of it (this is a personally deep song for me, as it is for Joe, but in a different way), but especially the beginning of Verse 2 where Joe let me drop the low Bb distorted bomb groove for a while. That’s heavy.
If you’re into Joe, and even if you’re not, check it out and see what you think. I’m very proud to be on it.
Aristocrats Chicago Date Sold Out – But Milwaukee Tickets Still Available!
Tuesday, July 21st, 2015
Hey everyone – The Aristocrats‘ “Tres Caballeros” tour is now in full swing, and the crowds have been great so far! Right now we’ve got some important news on a couple of shows coming up:
1) The Chicago show at Reggie’s on Friday July 24 is SOLD OUT. We know there’s been a bit of back and forth on this one, but that’s now official. So…
2) If you’re in the Chicago area and didn’t get a ticket, we’re playing the night before – Thursday July 23, two days from now – at The Miramar Theatre in Milwaukee! It’s not that long of a drive for hardy midwestern folk, and there’s plenty of seats left. Click here to get tickets!
3) Other near sellouts include: Montreal (Cafe Campus) and Washington DC/Vienna VA (Jammin Java). We think there’s under 15 tickets left for each of those shows, so if you’re on the fence, now’s the time. Check out the Shows page for all ticket links.
4) People of Austin, TX: You may have heard that our venue The Roost has closed. This is true but perhaps only temporarily. There WILL be a show no matter what, either at the re-opened Roost or at Threadgill’s if The Roost doesn’t re-open. We’re on the case and all pre-purchased tickets will be honored if the venue changes. Just watch our website and Facebook page for the latest updates on that one.
Thanks to all the fans who’ve already come out to witness the “Tres Caballeros” in action. Here’s a shot from our packed show in Vancouver. Check out the video screens. (photo by Jennifer Young)
Hope to see you out there soon, friends in North America and beyond!
Cheers to all,
The Aristocrats (actually BB, your humble Aristocratic narrator)
New Aristocrats Tour Dates: Milwaukee, Kansas City – “Tres Caballeros” Tour Starts This Week!
Saturday, July 4th, 2015
(BB here – shamelessly crossposting an Aristocrats update as I leave for the tour tomorrow!)
This is it – The Aristocrats’ Tres Caballeros North American Tour starts on Monday in Northern California! We have two important late changes to the itinerary we wanted to tell our North American friends about:
1) MILWAUKEE! On Thursday July 23 we will be playing the The Miramar Theater in Milwaukee, WI. If you’re up there, please help us spread the word on this late addition to the tour!
2) KANSAS CITY! On Monday, August 17, the venue has changed. It’s now VooDoo (in Harrah’s Casino) Davey’s Uptown Ramblers Club. All tickets purchased in advance for The Scene (previous venue preselling tickets) will be honored.
This is all brand new information. If you don’t see it on the venue websites yet, don’t fret – it’ll be there soon. The most current information is always available on our Tours page.
Here’s the new full itinerary for the tour:
North America Tour Summer 2015
with special guests The Travis Larson Band
Mon 6-Jul Sacramento, CA Harlow’s
Tues 7-Jul San Francisco, CA Slim’s
Wed 8-Jul Santa Cruz, CA Don Quixote’s
Fri 10-Jul Portland, OR Star Theater
Sat 11-Jul Seattle, WA Studio Seven
Sun 12-Jul Vancouver, BC, CANADA Rickshaw Theatre
Tues 14-Jul Boise, ID Reef
Wed 15-Jul Salt Lake City, UT Club X
Fri 17-Jul Denver, CO Quixote’s True Blue
Sun 19-Jul Omaha, NE Slowdown
Mon 20-Jul Des Moines, IA The Gaslamp
Tues 21-Jul St. Paul, MN The Amsterdam Bar And Hall
**Thurs 23-Jul Milwaukee, WI The Miramar Theatre**
Fri 24-Jul Chicago, IL Reggie’s
Sat 25-Jul Indianapolis, IN Birdy’s
Sun 26-Jul Cincinnati, OH The Mad Frog
Tues 28-Jul Cleveland, OH Beachland Ballroom
Wed 29-Jul Pittsburgh, PA Hard Rock Café
Thur 30-Jul Columbus, OH Skully’s
Fri 31-Jul Detroit, MI Token Lounge
Sat 1-Aug Toronto, ON, CANADA Mod Club
Sun 2-Aug Ottawa, ON, CANADA The Rainbow Bistro
Tues 4-Aug Montreal, QC, CANADA Cafe Campus
Wed 5-Aug Woodstock, NY Bearsville Theater
Fri 7-Aug Boston, MA The Middle East
Sat 8-Aug New York City, NY Irving Plaza
Sun 9-Aug Philadelphia, PA North Star Bar
Mon 10-Aug Washington, DC Jammin‘ Java
Tues 11-Aug Raleigh, NC Pour House
Thur 13-Aug Charlotte, NC Tremont Music Hall
Fri 14-Aug Atlanta, GA Aisle 5
Sat 15-Aug Nashville, TN The High Watt
Sun 16-Aug St. Louis, MO Old Rock House
**Mon 17-Aug Kansas City, MO Davey’s Uptown Ramblers Club**
Tues 18-Aug Tulsa, OK The Vanguard
Thur 20-Aug Houston, TX Fitzgerald’s
Fri 21-Aug Austin, TX The Roost
Sat 22-Aug Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX The Sanctuary
Mon 24-Aug Albuquerque, NM Launchpad
Wed 26-Aug Phoenix, AZ Club Red
Thur 27-Aug Mexicali, MX Teatro De Estado
Fri 28-Aug San Diego, CA Price Center Ballroom East, UCSD
Sat 29-Aug Riverside, CA Romano’s Concert Lounge
Sun 30-Aug Los Angeles, CA King King
Meanwhile reviews for Tres Caballeros keep rolling in. Here’s a snippet from a particularly effusive writeup from UltimateGuitar.com:
“Surely one of the best albums of the year, Tres Caballeros represents a tour de force of musicianship, poignant storytelling, and artistic control.”
We’ve been blown away by the response to our very ambitious new album. Thanks so much to all who ordered. What, you didn’t order yet? Click here to join the “better late than never” crowd.
Lots of album previews are still available at our YouTube page.
Finally, we had an absolute blast at the G4 Experience camp last week, along with Joe Satriani, Animals As Leaders, Mike Keneally and a cast of thousands (ok, hundreds). Some highlights from the last night:
* Mike Keneally and Guthrie Govan playing dual leads Frank Zappa’s ”Zomby Woof”
* Tosin Abasi and Javier Reyes from Animals As Leaders jamming Black Sabbath’s “War Pigs” (on their 8-string guitars!) with Mike Keneally, Bryan Beller and Joe Travers (drums)
* Joe Satriani and Mike Keneally playing Keneally’s tune “Rosemary Girl”
In addition to the guitar clinic information overload, bassists saw Bryan Beller and Stu Hamm lead clinics and do a live tribute to the late Chris Squire of Yes…and drummers (and plenty of guitarists!) saw Marco Minnemann and Matt Garska (of AAL) work up a righteous sweat in a dual-drummer chopsfest.
Here’s a shot of all of the instructors hamming it up for the camera. From left to right: Andy Aledort, Bryan Beller, Mike Keneally, Bruce Bouillet, Tosin Abasi, Javier Reyes, Joe Satriani, Matt Garska, Stu Hamm, Guthrie Govan, Marco Minnemann. (photo by Doug Doppler)
Thanks to all who attended and everyone who made it such a successful event.
That’s it. Time to hit the road! Hope to see you out there…
Best wishes to all,